This gluten-free version of Jamie Olivers’ Crunchy Garlic Chicken recipe pairs light and tangy citrus with a crunchy, crumbly “breaded” crust. The result is an easy, no-marinade chicken that is tender and delicious.
Remember to take advantage of what’s local and in season in your area! If Meyer Lemons are in season they offer a robust citrus flavor that is one of my personal favorites.
We served the chicken on a bed of local produce – a mixture of raw and lightly sautéed seasonal vegetables – spinach, Blue Russian kale, summer squash, broccoli, avocado and green onions. Get creative and feel free to experiment with flavors that incorporate your families’ favorites.
This recipe offers a perfect opportunity for age-appropriate cooking with kids – from selecting ingredients to helping with the blender. Adult supervision is always recommended.
Where appropriate, I’ve listed a few of my favorite Brands with the ingredients.
Gluten-Free Crunchy Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breast Fillets or 4 Cutlets Boneless, Skinless (approx.. 1 ¼ lbs.)
- ½ Box Gluten Free Crackers (Glutino Gluten-Free Multi-Grain)
- 3-6 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Coarsely Chopped
- Zest of 2 Lemons (Meyer Lemons if available, approx.. 1 ½ – 2 Tablespoons of zest)
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, Rinsed and Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Almond Meal Flour, Finely Ground (Bob’s Red Mill, Gluten-Free)
- 1 Large Egg Plus 1 Egg White, Beaten Lightly with a Fork
- Assorted Seasonal Vegetables
- Spinach (optional)
- 2 Lemons, Quartered for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Line a rimmed baking pan with foil or simply oil pan lightly with olive oil.
- If using Fillets, slice into 4 equal pieces, cover with plastic wrap and press to pound with the base of a heavy pan or use a meat hammer until half original thickness. If using prepared cutlets skip ahead to Step 3.
- Add Gluten-Free Crackers to blender and mix until a coarse powder.
- Add Garlic, Lemon Zest, Pepper and Parsley. Mix in blender until evenly chopped.
- Remove from blender base. Add Olive Oil. Stir.
- Pour parsley crumb mixture onto a plate. Set aside.
- Sprinkle Almond Meal onto a 2nd plate.
- Pour egg mixture onto a 3rd plate.
- Lightly score the under sides of the chicken with a knife.
- Dredge each piece of chicken, one at a time, into the flour. Coat each side thoroughly.
- Then dip into the egg mixture. Once again coat completely.
- Finally press each chicken piece firmly into parsley crumb mixture until each side is completely coated.
- Place coated chicken onto prepared rimmed pan from Step 1.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Flip each piece and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until parsley crumbs are golden and crisp and chicken is no longer pink.
- While chicken bakes, steam or sauté vegetables and place a small serving on each plate, along with lemon wedges.
- Serve chicken on bed of vegetables or salad and EAT INSPIRED!
Nutrition Info: (Serving Size 1 Chicken Cutlet approx.. 5 oz. vegetables not included)
Calories 260, Fat 15g, Sat Fat 3g, Sodium 134mg, Carbs 15g, Fiber .75g, Sugars .75g, Protein 16g
*Nutrition Information is approximate and may change as a result of the specific brands of ingredients and type/cut of meat that you select.