A refreshing summer appetizer
I brought this delicious and refreshing summer appetizer to my Women in Business Golf group last night. I was thrilled to have an excuse to make these little, brightly colored finger foods and as always, these light, flavor-packed apps were a refreshing hit.
Watermelon mint bites offer more than a simple, thirst-quenching appetizer. This summer melon provides healthy amounts of almost every essential vitamins and minerals. Watermelon is also full of a powerful antioxidant, found in vitamins A and C, which helps to reduce inflammation, general sickness and chronic illnesses such as stroke and heart attack.
Watermelon’s high water content make this a refreshing summer fruit. As part of a well-balanced diet, watermelon works to increase our metabolism and burn fat efficiently. Mixed with the digestive-enhancing properties of mint, these apps offer a healthy starter.
Watermelon also contains a healthy amount of fiber and protein, our body burns more calories than we consume when eating watermelon.
Did you know that beta-carotene, which lends watermelon its beautiful pink color, and lycopene are both beneficial in preventing many types of cancer, particularly colon cancer? Functional and delicious food at its best!
Sweet watermelon paired with this savory herb cheese mixture is a light and lovely snack, appetizer or simple dessert. Perfect for a daytime picnic or a summer evening outside.
Watermelon Mint Bites
1/2 Watermelon, cut into 20 squares, approximately 1″
2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint, finely chopped
2 Teaspoons Shallot, finely chopped
4 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled
Fresh Ground Pepper, black or white
1. Cut watermelon into squares.
2. Use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop a slight indentation into the top of each square. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cheese, mint and shallots. Mix until blended.
4. Using a 1/2 teaspoon scoop cheese combination and gently place on top of melon squares.
5. Top with fresh ground white or black pepper, to taste.
6. Garnish with fresh mint. Cover and chill or serve immediately. Eat Inspired Today!