via LiveInspiredTodayWithClea http://www.facebook.com/pages/p/111084218967004
That’s right, life is a bowl full of cherries! It’s cherry season and here are just a few of the many reasons to enjoy these seasonal gems.
Benefits of cherries:
1. A convenient fresh snack
2. An easy phytochemical rich add in for smoothies, salads, yogurt, baking
3. Dark “cherry” red signals anthocyanins which defend against carcinogens and support antioxidant activity
4. Contain anticancer and anti-inflammatory compound quercetin
5. Rich in perillyl alcohol which may help block formation of certain tumors
6. Cherries also contain vitamin C, fiber, potassium and betacarotene
7. Fresh, frozen and dried unsweetened cherries are available
8. Remember fruit is a naturally gluten-free option
Choosing local and in season produce is always best. Choose local from trusted farmers (low spray or alternative pesticides) over produce that is labelled organic but has traveled long distances.
Enjoy your cherries this season. Stay tuned for more seasonal foods, nutrition support and delicious recipes.