This festive weeknight dish brings one of our favorite restaurant themes into the comfort of our own kitchen. A BIG thank you to Marka Haack, Founder of Toovaloo Gluten Free for our delicious Toovaloo tortilla samples. Our Toovaloo Amaranth Flax tortilla review here. Read about this local, San Diego company, their mission and products here. Let the beef simmer until the juices have evaporated – sealing in the flavors! Don’t forget to experiment with heirloom tomatoes, bell peppers and other seasonal offerings from your local Farmer’s Market. Try pairing this dish with our Chunky Guacamole recipe.
- 1 ½ lbs. Grass Fed Lean Ground Beef (7%)
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Spectrum Naturals)
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, Seeded and Chopped
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper, Seeded and Chopped
- 1 Medium Sweet Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano, Chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ¾ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, Seeded and Chopped
- 1 Can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Juice (Muir Glen Organic)
- 1 Cup Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth (Pacific Natural Foods)
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn Kernels
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortillas (Toovaloo Amaranth Flax Tortillas)
- Chunky Guacamole (optional)
Garnish and Fillings
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 1 Cup Grated Cheese or Non-Dairy Substitute (Daiya)
- 1-2 Limes, Rinsed and Quartered
- 1 Can Vegetarian Black Refried Beans (Amy’s Kitchen)
- Heat oil in a large, rimmed sauté pan on medium heat.
- Sauté Peppers, onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir often until onion is translucent.
- Add jalapenos and beef. Stir until browned.
- Add broth, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Let simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes or until most of liquid is gone.
- 10 minutes before serving, add corn. Raise heat to medium high.
- While corn warms heat Refried Beans. Set aside
- Remove beef from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm Toovaloo Amaranth Flax Tortillas in toaster per package directions.
- Layer items on each tortilla or allow each person to serve themselves with beef, beans, a sprinkle of cilantro and cheese (if desired). Top with guacamole and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition Info: (Serving Size approx.. 1 Toovaloo Tortilla Taco plus 1 Tbsp Guacamole) Calories 146, Fat 11.5g, Sat Fat 3.5g, Sodium 240mg, Carbs 29.5g, Fiber 4g, Sugar 4g, Protein 22g*
Nutrition info is approximate and subject to change based upon the brands selected and portion sizes.