Lightly sweet, thick, satisfying...heavenly! Did I mention this pudding is packed with protein and nutrients?
This one sounds almost too good to be true. And just so happens to be gluten and dairy-free - but don't hold that against this sinfully rich and delightfully sweet chocolate pudding.
I am a firm believer in creating nourishing, healthy foods that are simply delicious and slightly playful. I aim for Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ and this dessert is no exception.
Want in on the secret? Well the secret to this divine chocolate pudding is actually two-fold:
1. plump, hydrophyllic, nutrient-dense chia seeds
2. a high-powered blender.
Chia seeds create a delightfully thick texture and supply omega 3's, protein and fiber. I invite you to read more about these ancient seeds of strength in my recent Ingredients for Health post. The second is equally vital because without a high-powered blender, the texture just never quite becomes that light, fluffy and smooth perfect pudding.
I love that this guilt-free dessert is so rich and creamy but without the use of dairy or heavy creams. Lightly sweetened with only maple syrup and a hint of coconut, the chocolate and cacao nibs make this dessert taste truly decadent.
I love to top this dessert with a few fresh raspberries or substitute this delicious pudding for a rich and creamy pie filling....let me know how you serve this Heavenly Chocolate Chia Pudding in the comments below.
HEAVENLY CHOCOLATE CHIA PUDDING
Vegan (check to make sure you use a vegan cocoa powder)
Serves 4-6 (you can easily split this recipe in half this for a smaller amount:-)
2/12 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
4-6 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chia seeds
4 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 tablespoons cacao nibs, unsweetened
2 heaping tablespoons shredded coconut, unsweetened
pinch sea salt
1. In a medium bowl (or a in high powered blender), combine coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Gently stir in chia seeds. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. While you wait, in a separate bowl combine remaining dry ingredients. Stir to mix.
3. Blend together chia mixture until smooth. Slowly add dry ingredients and blend on high speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth, 5-7 minutes at least. Make sure to scrape the sides.
4. Serve slightly warm or cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until cool or for up to 3 days. Stir slightly before serving. Top with berries or a sprinkling of nuts or shredded coconut. Enjoy!
© Copyright Clea Shannon 2009-2012
Eat Inspired Today™ LLC
Sign up to receive my ezine with the latest Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes, healthy inspiration, upcoming cooking classes and event announcements.
*Ready to feel your BEST? Contact me to schedule your complimentary wellness break-through session.