A lovely dish packed with delicious remnants from your Thanksgiving Day feast – but with a playful twist. We adore pairing sweet-tart cranberries with creamy goat cheese nestled between brightly colored layers of butternut squash.
This dish tastes decadent and is absolutely easy to throw together! Simply slice the neck of the butternut squash into paper-thin wafers. Our Eat Inspired Today Tip - use a mandoline. A mandoline is an inexpensive and versatile tool that speeds slicing and cutting for many everyday and holiday dishes.
Just a splash of chicken broth helps to keep the turkey tender.* Freshly roasted butternut squash lends its vibrant Fall color and crisp texture to this easily baked dish. Slightly sweet cranberry mingles with savory goat cheese for a tender, fresh and satisfying entrée.
* a note that this dish works just as well without the turkey and chicken broth - simply omit and layer the veggies and cheese for a delightful vegetarian dish. ENJOY!
Festive, colorful and packed with traditional holiday flavors this dish finished with a subtle, yet playful, twist. The term au gratin refers to a dish that is baked with a topping of seasoned breadcrumbs and cheese and lightly browned. In lieu of bread crumbs, we sprinkled our gratin with crumbled Hawaiian BBQ tortilla chips for a crispy and delightfully surprising and flavorful crunch.
This dish makes for an elegant post-holiday dinner and delicious leftover (if there’s any left!).
This dish was inspired by this year's Whole Foods Market Clash of the Cooks competition.
I was provided with the following secret ingredients and invited to create a unique holiday-themed dish by Whole Foods Market Hillcrest: WFM Cranberry Sauce, Whale Tails Tortilla Chips (Hawaiian BBQ flavor), 365 Brand Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Maggie's Delight (Whole Foods Market Raw Pistachio Pesto, Artichoke Tapenade and Sundried Tomatoes)
Will you help me share this deliciously, Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ holiday dish?
Twitter: I love @HipSimpleFabGF latest #recipe perfect for #Thanksgiving http://wp.me/p1u96y-16W #WFMClash
Facebook: I love @HipSimpleFabGF latestrecipe perfect for Thanksgiving! Check it out: http://wp.me/p1u96y-16W #WFMClash
Pinterest: Simply pin this link: http://pinterest.com/pin/112449321917328282/
Like this photo: http://instagram.com/p/SA6InJKHHh/
Thank you! I am so grateful for your support :-)
Cranberry, Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin
This dish serves 6
- Neck of 1 large butternut squash, skin removed
- 3 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup cranberry sauce (we used Whole Foods Market)
- 1 ½ cups diced cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup organic low sodium chicken broth (we used 365 Brand)
- 3 tablespoons crushed Whale Tails Tortilla Chips, Hawaiian BBQ flavor
- 2 tablespoons raw pistachio pesto (we used Whole Foods Market)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or less), lightly grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch casserole dish.
- Slice the butternut squash into paper-thin slices, approximately 1/8-inch, using a mandoline or a very sharp knife.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced butternut squash with the 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, toss turkey meat with ¼ cup chicken broth.
- To create your bottom layer, place 1/3 of the squash slices on the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the goat cheese and sprinkle with ½ of the diced turkey.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of the squash, 1/3 of the goat cheese and remaining turkey. Lightly cover this layer with cranberry sauce.
- Finish the top layer with 1/3 of the squash and remaining goat cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and top with a drizzle of raw pistachio pesto.
- Enjoy & remember to Eat Inspired Today!
© Copyright Clea Shannon 2009-2012
Eat Inspired Today™ LLC
Sign up to receive my ezine with the latest Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes, healthy inspiration, upcoming cooking classes and event announcements.
*Ready to feel your BEST? Contact me to schedule your complimentary wellness break-through session.