Here are 7 Drawbacks to a Gluten-Free Lifestyle and a few of my favorite tips to make your transition and maintaining your gluten-free lifestyle Hip, Simple, Fabulous™!
Drawbacks of a Gluten-Free Lifestyle AND a Few of My Favorite Tips:
1. Gluten-Free packaged products, baked goods and restaurant entrees can be expensive! Stick to more of the inexpensive basics. A healthy, balanced lifestyle, whether gluten-free or gluten-full, includes mostly unprocessed, whole foods. Reduce the packaged foods and food products.
2. Many Gluten-Free packaged products contain MORE sugar, fat and calories per serving. Watch those portions and remember, stick to #1.
3. Some Gluten-Free foods may have less fiber than those their gluten-filled counterparts. Make sure to include high fiber whole fruits, vegetables, beans, and gluten-free alternative grains in your daily diet.
4. We risk cross contamination with Gluten when we eat out. Cooking more at home and eating out less helps us to reduce the risk of cross contamination and maintain control over portion sizes and ingredients. These are great ways to trim our budget and our waist line!
5. Uncertainty abounds with Gluten-Free labels. Incomplete labeling standards for Gluten-Free foods have left gaps in information and inaccurate or incomplete ingredients labels. Stick to reputable brands and certified Gluten-Free products or confirm ingredients with a manufacturer before purchasing or consuming.
6. Many Gluten-Free packaged foods may be missing nutrients such as vitamin B and iron. Read labels closely and look for fortified products. Consult a nutrition coach or physician on supplementation. Consider nutrient and absorption testing if symptoms persist or health does not improve.
7. A Gluten-Free label does not automatically mean that a food is healthy. As with all other foods, enjoy in moderation and watch portion and serving sizes. Read labels carefully and watch out for lengthy, hard-to-pronounce ingredients, additives and dyes.
Hungry for more? Let's connect today and I can support you as a health coach and nutrition educator, wherever you are. Let's make your Gluten-Free transition easy!
P.S. Still trying to understand what gluten IS, exactly?
Read our quick and easy definition in this post – what is gluten?
© Copyright Clea Shannon 2013
Eat Inspired Today™ LLC
Sign up to receive my ezine with the latest Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes, healthy inspiration, upcoming cooking classes and event announcements.
*Ready to feel your BEST? Contact me to schedule your complimentary wellness break-through session.