When we're not feeling well, it's easy to start a self-pity party, curl up and simply say "Why Me?!"
It's important to take note of our symptoms, listen to our bodies and be our own advocates for health.
Feeling unwell and not certain why? Sometimes food is at the root of our health problems! It was at the root of my own. Years ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It turns out that the food I was eating was slowly killing me!
May is Celiac Disease Awareness month. Listed below are 11 common signs that you may be gluten intolerant or have Celiac Disease. Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?
1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation (especially in children after eating gluten).
2. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.
3. Migraine headaches.
4. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.
5. Chronic skin issues, "chicken skin" on backs of arms, rashes, acne or Dermatitis Herpetiformis.
6. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
7. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.
8. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo-like symptoms or a feeling of being off balance.
9. Tingling or numbness in fingers, toes and extremities.
10. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.
11. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia.
If you're concerned that you may have Celiac Disease, it's important to consult a medical professional, health coach or nutritionist for testing BEFORE you attempt to remove wheat and/or gluten from your diet.
Do you recognize any of these symptoms in your, a family member or friend? 83% of those with Celiac Disease remain undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Please share this post. Help us spread awareness and end the uncertainty!
Uncertain where to start on your road back to health? Need a health advocate? Let me know how we can support you in the comments below!
P.S. Still trying to understand what gluten IS, exactly?
Read our quick and easy definition in this post - what is gluten?
© Copyright Clea Shannon 2013
Eat Inspired Today™ LLC
Sign up to receive my ezine with the latest Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes, healthy inspiration, upcoming cooking classes and event announcements.
*Ready to feel your BEST? Contact me to schedule your complimentary wellness break-through session.