Lightly sweet, thick, satisfying…heavenly! Did I mention these pops are packed with protein and powerful nutrients?
And just so happen to be gluten and dairy-free – but don’t hold that against this sinfully rich and delightfully decadent dessert.
I am a firm believer in creating nourishing, healthy foods that are simply delicious and slightly playful. I aim for Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ and this dessert is no exception. Here is my contribution for Day 3 of #beatheheatchallenge on Instagram with @ecsince80 and @nutritionnut13
What's the secret?
1. plump, hydrophyllic, nutrient-dense chia seeds
2. a high-powered blender.
Chia seeds create a delightfully thick texture and supply omega 3′s, protein and fiber. Read more about these ancient seeds of strength in my Ingredients for Health post. The second is equally vital because without a high-powered blender, the texture just never quite becomes that light, fluffy and smooth.
I love that this guilt-free dessert is so rich and creamy but without the use of dairy or heavy creams. A cooling version of our favorite summer flavors of chocolate and graham. crackers - s'mores!
CHIA S'MORES POPS
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan (check to make sure you use a vegan cocoa powder)
Makes 8-12 pops depending on size
2/12 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chia seeds
4 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 tablespoons cacao nibs, unsweetened
2 heaping tablespoons shredded coconut, unsweetened
pinch sea salt
1 cup gluten-free graham crackers, crushed RESERVE for dipping (or sub with shredded, unsweetened coconut)
1. In a medium bowl (or a in high powered blender), combine coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Gently stir in chia seeds. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. While you wait, in a separate bowl combine remaining dry ingredients. Stir to mix.
3. Blend together chia mixture until smooth. Slowly add dry ingredients and blend on high speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth, 5-7 minutes at least. Make sure to scrape the sides.
4. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight. Run a little room temperature water over the molds to loosen and gently remove pops. Dip pop ends into graham cracker crumbs or shredded coconut. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
P.S. Curious? What IS gluten, exactly? Read our quick and easy definition in this post - what is gluten?
© Copyright Clea Shannon 2013
Eat Inspired Today™ LLC
Sign up to receive my ezine with the latest Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes, healthy inspiration, upcoming cooking classes and event announcements.
*Ready to feel your BEST? Contact me to schedule your complimentary wellness break-through session.