I love mornings. I know many of you just rolled your eyes at me. Trust me I know. Somehow I've come to be surrounded by night owls. But I stand firm. I love mornings.
And when I can there's nothing that I enjoy more than an early morning workout followed by a lovely, lingering breakfast at home. Maybe I'd stop by the farmer's market and grab a few fresh veggies to throw into this recipe...
And while I don't get these opportunities often, I can daydream, can't I? I'm finding that my daydreams often manifest into blogs. So here's a little glimpse at my perfect morning meal.
A festive and easy to prepare breakfast dish for company or a lovely, lingering morning in together. Serve with my Chai latte for a delicious start to any day!
Red and Green Breakfast Frittata
1/3 Cup Fresh Gluten-Free Bread, torn into bite-size chunks
3 Tablespoons Grape Seed Oil, divided
2 Cups Spinach, finely chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional or use Daiya shreds)
6 Eggs, lightly beaten (or sub egg whites)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
1 Shallot, minced
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 Avocado, sliced
Handful of cilantro (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to top slot and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine gluten-free bread chunks and 1 Tablespoons of Grape Seed Oil.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread bread onto a lined baking sheet. and bake for 8-10 minutes until browned. Stir at 4 minutes. Set aside to cool. Save lined baking sheet.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, 1/4 Cup of cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a saute pan over medium heat add remaining 2 Tablespoons Grape Seed Oil.
- Add shallot and stir lightly until translucent.
- Add spinach, red bell pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add egg mixture.
- Eat Inspired Today TIP: Gently lift cooked edges from sides of pan using a temperature resistant rubber spatula. Tilt pan slightly to encourage uncooked eggs towards edges of pan.
- Cook 5-7 minutes or until eggs begin to firm and set at center.
- Flip egg mixture onto lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with gluten-free bread chunks and remaining 1/4 Cup cheese.
- Transfer to oven and cook approximately 2 minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Use spatula to gently slide frittata onto a serving plate. Top with avocado slices, sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.